Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Giving Tree Needs To Give It Up

Does anyone else think that book The Giving Tree is kind of fucked up? I feel like I've always been vaguely unsettled by it. It seemed a little...creepy. But everyone had it as a child! And everyone still gives it to people who have kids! It's like Goodnight Moon. Have a kid, and you WILL get The Giving Tree. For reals, if someone gives me that book I'm using it to illustrate to my child how to tell if they're in an abusive relationship. I'm all about giving and thinking of others and blah blah blah. But only to a point. I'm not letting someone take everything I have and not give anything in return. Fuck. That.

Good thing I'm not the only one who feels that way.....


1 comment:

  1. Completely agree, even though I am a teacher and I'm supposed to be 'praising' books like that. LOL

    ReplyDelete